LONDON (Diya TV) — Prince Harry and Meghan plan to move back to Britain this month, six years after stepping down from royal duties and settling in California.
A person close to the couple said they plan to stay in Britain for an extended period while remaining non-working members of the royal family. They will not live in a royal residence and plan to keep their home in Montecito, California.
King Charles learned about the planned move on Sunday, according to reports, and has welcomed the prospect of having Harry and his grandchildren closer. Buckingham Palace declined to comment.
Harry and Meghan married at Windsor Castle in 2018. In March 2020, they stepped down from royal duties and moved to the United States, citing intense media scrutiny.
Since then, the couple has pursued several media and business projects. Harry released his bestselling memoir, “Spare,” while Meghan worked on television projects and launched a lifestyle brand.
They also signed deals with Netflix and Spotify. Their Spotify partnership later ended, while Meghan’s Netflix lifestyle show did not receive a third season.
Harry’s relationship with the royal family has remained strained since the couple’s departure. In a 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Meghan discussed her experiences within the family, including concerns about comments regarding Archie’s potential skin tone.
Harry later publicly criticized King Charles and Prince William, further straining family relations.
Relations between Harry and Charles have recently shown signs of improvement. The two met briefly last year, and Charles more recently saw Archie and Lilibet during the family’s visit to Britain.
However, Harry’s relationship with William remains difficult. The planned move could therefore create new challenges for the royal family.
Security has also played a major role in Harry’s decision to return to Britain. He previously criticized changes to his security arrangements. He argued that the lack of automatic police protection made it difficult to bring his children to the country.
Prime Minister Andy Burnham said the couple’s security arrangements remain a private matter. He also wished the family well.
Harry and Meghan now face a different environment as they prepare for life in Britain. Royal commentators expect strong public and media interest in their home, security and children’s school.
The return also raises questions about how the couple will balance family life with their public roles. They left Britain after criticizing parts of the royal institution and the press. Now, they are preparing to build part of their family life there again.
For Harry and Meghan, the move represents a new chapter. However, their return will likely keep them closely connected to the British royal family and the intense public attention they once sought to escape.