SACRAMENTO (Diya TV) — In an unprecedented move, California Governor Gavin Newsom is mandating all Californians to stay home as of tonight at midnight. This shelter in place order affects roughly 40 million people in America’s most populous state and is based on modeling that says 56% of Californians or more than 25 million people will get COVID-19 over the next eight weeks if dramatic measures are not taken. Grocery stores and other essential services will remain open.
More details from the executive order are below:
How long will we stay home?
- This goes into effect on Thursday, March 19, 2020. The order is in place until further notice.
What can I do? What’s open?
Essential services will remain open such as:
- Gas stations
- Food: Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks, convenience stores, take-out and delivery restaurants
- Laundromats/laundry services
- Essential state and local government functions will also remain open, including law enforcement and offices that provide government programs and services.
- Dine-in restaurants
- Bars and nightclubs
- Entertainment venues
- Gyms and fitness studios
- Public events and gatherings
- Convention Centers
Where does this apply?
- This is in effect throughout the State of California.
In India, with COVID-19 starting to spread, Prime Minister Modi issued new travel restrictions that bans passengers from overseas from entering India and guidelines for social distancing, including asking companies to have their employees work from home.
The State Department issued an advisory telling Americans abroad to come home now or prepare to stay out of the U.S. and warned against traveling outside of the U.S.
Former Vice President Joe Biden racked up victories in three states in his bid to be the Democratic Presidential nominee. Ohio was also scheduled to hold a primary election, but it was postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Ravi Kapur contributed to this report.