Connect with us

News

Arrest made in connection with shooting of Rutgers student

Published

on

Shani Patel, 21, an undergraduate student at Rutgers Newark was shot an killed in his off campus Central Avenue apartment last night. His roommate who graduated from Rutgers last year was also shot and is in critical condition.(Robert Sciarrino | NJ Advance Media)

Shani Patel, 21, an undergraduate student at Rutgers Newark was shot an killed in his off campus Central Avenue apartment last night. His roommate who graduated from Rutgers last year was also shot and is in critical condition.(Robert Sciarrino | NJ Advance Media)

NEWARK, N.J. (Diya TV) — A suspect has been arrested and is now facing charges in connection to a shooting that left Rutgers University student Shani Patel dead, and seriously injured his roommate.

According to authorities, first responders were called to an apartment which resides above a popular university hangout around 10 p.m. on Sunday, where they found Patel, 21, with a gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead at the scene. His roommate, a 23-year-old graduated student of Rutgers whose name has not yet been released, was also shot, authorities said. He was taken to the hospital, where he remains in stable condition, police said.

Marcus Feliz, 25, of Newark, was taken into custody by police in connection with the shooting and was charged Wednesday morning with with murder, felony murder and robbery, officials said. Feliz’ bail is set at $750,000. The Essex County prosecutor’s office said Feliz is not a student of the university, and is not affiliated with the school in any way.

Officials have yet to confirm the circumstances of the shooting, but police have said the shooting is being investigated as a possible drug robbery. A substantial amount of drugs and money were found at the scene of the shooting. Peter Englot, the Vice Chancellor for Public Affairs and Chief of Staff at Rutgers-Newark, said that although the shooting occurred off campus, and police believe it was not a random act, “an incident like this causes us to have a heightened awareness in the neighborhood.”

Marcus Feliz (Essex County Corrections)

Marcus Feliz (Essex County Corrections)

Before the shooting occurred, Englot said the university had already began instituting enhanced safety measures for students, including hiring additional police officers, and expanding the school’s shuttle service. With the news that this crime could have been a drug deal gone awry, Englot said the school also focuses efforts on curbing student drug use.

“We’re aware that, as with universities around the country, there are people of college age who have issues of drug use,” he said.

“We do take care to make students aware of the dangers of drug use. That’s where we focus.”

The investigation is still ongoing, and no further information is available at this time.

News

Exclusive: Judges Srinivasan, Rao kickoff SABA virtual conference

Published

on

Srinivasan

WASHINGTON (Diya TV)  — Diya TV is home to the South Asian Bar Association virtual conference this weekend, which got kicked off by perhaps the two most powerful Indian American lawyers in the nation: Chief Judge Sri Srinivasan & Circuit Judge Neomi Rao, both of whom serve in the DC Circuit Court of Appeals, considered the second most powerful court in the nation to only the Supreme Court. We’ll update you on their conversation and preview this weekend’s virtual gala featuring Stacy Abrams, Preet Bharara, Vanita Gupta, Ajit Pai and many others.

Meanwhile, Judges Srinivasan and Rao may get another Indian American colleague, as President Trump nominated Vijay Shanker to the DC Circuit Court of Appeals.

The Democratic Party announced they will be conducting their convention virtually from Milwaukee.

Indian American Jeremy Cooney is leading in the race for New York State’s 56th Senate District, with absentee ballots still to be factored in.

Ravi Kapur contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

News

Satellite images show larger Chinese presence at Indian border

Published

on

Satellite images

LADAKH, India (Diya TV)  — While the ongoing fracas between India and China has not led to all-out war yet, satellite images indicate China is sending a larger group of troops and building infrastructure in Galwan Valley, site of that vicious clash that killed 20 Indian troops, and a reported 43 Chinese soldiers. It was the first loss of life in battle for the Chinese in more than 40 years. U.S. intelligence decreed China instigated the battle and India says China has been staffing up in the area since May. Following the release of the satellite images, China says India is to blame.

The U.S. is regressing in its battle against COVID-19, setting a new single day record for coronavirus cases at more than 37,000. The virus has infected nearly 10 million people globally, a quarter of that total in the U.S. The death toll now stands at 125,000 in the United States, with Florida, Texas, Arizona and California seeing major increases.

Pakistani-American Qasim Rashid advanced in the Democratic primary in Virginia’s First Congressional District. ​He’ll take on longtime incumbent Republican Congressman Robert Wittman in the fall.

Ravi Kapur contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

News

As critics fume, Modi says India was not breached by China

Published

on

Modi

NEW DELHI (Diya TV)  — During an all-party political leaders meeting, Indian Prime Minister Modi told the group China did not breach Indian territory in Ladakh, nor was any Indian Army border post captured. Modi emphasized India will protect Galwan Valley, the region where the clash killing 20 Indian soldiers and a reported 43 Chinese soldiers took place. But Modi’s critics say the situation was an intelligence failure and many want Modi to strike back with force. Meanwhile, in a statement, the Chinese Government pinned the conflict on India and is laying claim to the entire valley region.

India was elected as a Non-Permanent Member of the United Nations Security Council for a 2-year term starting next year, receiving 184 out of 192 valid votes.

And in a wild Friday night surprise, the Justice Department said Geoffrey Berman, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York would be stepping down, to be replaced by Jay Clayton, the current Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission. But in a statement, Berman said he’s not leaving until Congress confirms someone & his investigations, including into folks allied with President Trump, will continue.

Ravi Kapur contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Trending

Diya TV , Inc. © 2017 All Rights Reserved