Connect with us

News

Yet another attack on Sikhs, this time an elderly couple

Published

on

Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer asks for the public’s help to find alleged attackers on a Sikh man last December. Other law enforcement officials and Sikh leaders look on.

Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer asks for the public’s help to find alleged attackers on a Sikh man last December. Other law enforcement officials and Sikh leaders look on.

FRESNO, Calif. (Diya TV) — With the trial of a juvenile and a man for hate crimes against an elderly Sikh man still fresh in everyone’s minds, a 70-year-old Sikh man was left bloody and bruised after armed robbers attacked him and his wife while the couple were out for a walk.

However, police said the attack was not a hate crime, but rather a case of robbers targeting elderly victims.

The attack, which happened on Monday night, took place against the man and his 60-year-old wife as they were out for an evening stroll. The couple’s names have not yet been released, but according to police, while the two were out for their walk they noticed three men approaching them. Two of the attackers surrounded them, one of which was armed with a knife, police said.

“He pulled out a folding knife and told the male victim he wanted money and his cellphone. He repeated that three times,” Fresno police Lt. Joe Gomez said.

The elderly Sikh man had no money, so instead he handed over his phone to the robbers, police said. But that wasn’t enough to appease the attackers’ demands.

“He just rushes and kind of cold cocks the victim in the face, really for no reason,” Gomez said.

The man fell to the ground as blood spilled over his clothes, at which point police said the robbers then patted down his wife to make sure she had nothing of value before fleeing.

“It looks like young robbers picking on older people. That’s what the motivation is here,” Gomez said while stating that it was not a hate crime.

News

India-China strike détente over border issues

Published

on

India

Ladakh, INDIA (Diya TV)  — Just days after Indian Prime Minister Modi visited the frontlines in Ladakh to encourage his troops and honor those lost in a recent battle with China, India and China jointly announced both countries will disengage, pulling back in a limited manner at separate key points. A two-hour frank conversation between both nation’s foreign ministers led to the breakthrough. While both sides claim their sovereignty had been violated, India made some major economic moves against China in recent days, banning investment, stopping Chinese participation in freeway developments and blocking 59 apps including TikTok. TikTok announced they would lose up to $6 billion because of India’s ban.

In a statement on his agenda for Muslim Americans, presumptive Democratic Presidential nominee Joe Biden said he was disappointed with the Indian government’s implementation of the National Register of Citizens in Assam, the passage of the Citizenship Amendment Act and recent actions in Jammu and Kashmir. Biden has a long list of agendas he plans to implement if he is elected President, but there is no listing as of yet for Hindu and Sikh Americans.

Ravi Kapur contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

News

COVID-19 explodes: 50,000 cases in one day, 10,000 in Florida

Published

on

COVID19

AUSTIN, Texas (Diya TV)  — Fears of a COVID19 spike have been realized, as the caseload around the nation continues to set records daily. On Wednesday, 50,000 new cases were reported around America, 10,000 in Florida alone. Texas Governor Greg Abbott is now mandating masks in his hard-hit state and states that were starting to open up are now reworking their plans in order to combat COVID19.

As Indian and Chinese military commanders held a third round of talks on disengagement, the Indian government made another move against business and investment from China, announcing Chinese companies will not be allowed to take part in India’s highway and transportation projects, among other sectors. Meanwhile, Prime Minister Modi deleted his account on the Chinese social media platform Weibo.

President Trump though White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany made his strongest remarks to date on the India-China conflict, saying “China’s aggressive stance along the India-China border fits with a larger a pattern of Chinese aggression in other parts of the world and these action only confirm the true nature of the Chinese Communist Party.”

Ravi Kapur contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

News

California lawsuit alleges caste-based discrimination at Cisco

Published

on

Cisco

OAKLAND, Calif. (Diya TV)  — California’s Department of Fair Employment and Housing sued Silicon Valley titan Cisco Systems and two of their former employees alleging discrimination against an Indian-American Dalit employee. The man claims harassment by two men who are Indian Americans of a higher caste, former Cisco engineering managers Sundar Iyer and Ramana Kompella. Cisco denies the charges.

On the heels of India banning 59 Chinese apps from being distributed, the FCC designated Chinese telecom companies Huawei and ZTE as threats to national security, saying money allocated by the government for broadband and other 5G related products cannot be used on equipment by those vendors. Meanwhile, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo lauded India for their ban of Chinese apps.

And in a new letter to Secretary of State Pompeo, 20 Senators are urging the Trump Administration to grant emergency refugee protections to Hindu and Sikh communities that have been long persecuted in Afghanistan.

Ravi Kapur contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Trending

Diya TV , Inc. © 2017 All Rights Reserved